Sunday, January 17, 2021

Last Week Was A Little Rough, But We've Got This


Lisa got a promotion at work last year. When she applied for it, we knew that if she got the promotion, our schedule would change. Our life would change. Week by week. However, Lisa has been with her company for almost 20 years and she's worked hard for this opportunity. Our attitude was, "We will make it work."

And, we have. 

Just recently, Lisa's hours temporarily changed to 2nd shift. The duration is for a month or so. Out of all the shifts she has covered, this one is our least favorite, however, we'll make it work. 

Last week was the first week. 

Our first concern was our kids. They have a routine. They are very sensitive to change. They don't like it when Lisa isn't home at night because they don't know why.

Much to our surprise, they adjusted immediately. Lisa and I? Well, it was a little rough. We had to adjust to going to bed after midnight, getting up later, meal planning, etc.

As a Work at Home Dog Mom, the biggest adjustment for me is getting over the psychological hurdle of adjusting my hours of productivity. 

For example, when Lisa works her regular hours, I begin my Work at Home Dog Mom stuff around noon. That includes desk work, housework, time in the kitchen, tending to projects in my Bodacious DIY Dog Mom Workshop, etc. I usually wrap things up around 7 p.m. when Lisa is about ready to head home.

That's after getting up between 6-7 in the morning and beginning our entire morning routine before Lisa heads off to work.

Now, we don't get to bed until about 2 in the morning. I don't always fall asleep right away so I'll read for a bit. On average last week, we got up around 9. We drink our coffee. Lisa feeds the kids their breakfast. 

Lisa and I eat a big meal that I prepare for around 1 in the afternoon. I pack leftovers for her dinner at work. After eating, we give the kids their snack, Lisa gets ready for work, and she leaves around 2:30. 

My Work at Home Dog Mom productivity needs to shift. Instead of wrapping things up around 7 in the evening, I'm finishing up my day close to midnight. That was a struggle for me. 

Toward the end of the week, it got a little easier, but it made for a long week between adjusting to a new work and sleep schedule.

I'm sure next week will be a little rough too, but our bodies will be more used to it. We'll have to iron out a few wrinkles, but, we'll get there.


We've got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment