Friday, September 7, 2018

Total Knock Out Twice In Two Weeks

The past couple of weeks have been difficult for me. I've fallen a little behind on work stuff. I haven't spent nearly as much time as I should in the Bodacious DIY Dog Mom Project Room. My To-Do List has gotten longer and longer and longer. On multiple occasions, simple tasks like making dinner and doing the dishes have been extremely challenging.

Two weeks ago, I had the onset of a UTI infection. At the time, we were several towns away enjoying a neighborhood family date night at an outdoor eatery with live entertainment. That's when the pain became noticeable. By the time we got home, it was pretty bad.

We had plans on going to the fair the following day with a couple of our neighborhood family members, but we canceled. It was painful to walk from the living room to the bathroom. There was no way I would be able to walk the fairgrounds.

For the next few days, I was in excruciating pain. It didn't matter if I was sitting, laying down, or standing. I couldn't get comfortable. It hurt to take a deep breath.

The pain eased up after 2 days of antibiotics and lots of water. Unfortunately, during my regimen of antibiotics, I spent a lot of time praying to the porcelain goddess.

My tummy doesn't do well with antibiotics. Because of that, I never complete the full prescription. Most times, all ends well.

But sometimes, it doesn't. 

The UTI infection was cleared up, but last weekend, the left side of my throat and my left ear started hurting.

Long story short, I got a secondary infection.

By the time Tuesday rolled around, I had the worst sore throat and earache that I've ever had in my entire life. It felt as if someone has smashed in the left side of my face.

In addition, my throat was swollen to the point where I got a little nervous.

I decided to finish my prescription of antibiotics. 

In the meantime, until they began to work, I was unable to function much. I spent all of Wednesday on the sofa. The kids were confused because this was out of the norm. However, they all curled up with me and were glued to my side.

If I went to the bathroom, they followed me. If I went into the kitchen, they all followed me. 

That evening, Lisa brought home my favorite Wonton soup, Popsicles, and Ginger Ale. I wanted to cry every time I swallowed, but I needed to eat and keep hydrated.

Yesterday, I felt a little better. The pain wasn't as severe. I got a little work done during the day. I was still moving slow and fighting nausea, but I was determined. I made homemade clam chowder for dinner. Popsicles for dessert.

Today, I'm feeling worlds better. 

I still have pain in my ear and throat when I swallow, but it's not nearly as bad as it was a couple of days ago.

To celebrate, Lisa arrived home with some of my favorite wine, a new seasonal wine glass, and some spicy sweet potato tortilla chips.

I felt bad because Lisa and our kids are the ones who truly deserve special treats.

There are a lot of changes going on at Lisa's work and she's been working late. Over the past couple of weeks, when the pain was at its worst, she finished up housework and helped make dinner. Not once did she complain. It didn't matter how tired she was or how late she got out of work, Lisa went the extra mile.

Lots. Of. Extra. Miles. 

Our kids knew I was sick and in pain. They always know when one of us is sick. They knew when the pain from my UTI and ear and throat infection was at its worst. During those days, they didn't let me out of their sight. And, when I was on the sofa, they curled up on or beside me.

They also refrained from barking at every noise or running under my feet.

I'm beyond grateful.

I don't get days off. I don't take sick days. Being a Work at Home Dog Mom is a 24/7 job. On top of that, I'm stubborn. About 95% of the time, I work when I'm sick.

That other 5% hit over the past couple of weeks. Twice.

It takes a lot for me to admit defeat.

To not put up a fight when Lisa says, "I want you to take a sick day..."

When I cave, it's kind of a big deal.

Lisa knows that too. She knows that when I crash on the sofa during the day, it's bad.

But, I know when it does occasionally happen, it's okay.

My family takes care of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment