Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The Boys Have A New Routine. I'm Slightly Baffled.

For the most part, our kids are on a routine. There's a Monday through Friday routine. There's a weekend routine. There's also a routine when Lisa has a 3 day weekend or takes a vacation day here and there. Our kids thrive on their routine. If I'm late giving them their afternoon snack, they let me know. If Lisa goes to bed after 9 p.m., they pace, get cranky, and make it obvious they're ready for bed.

Monday through Friday, Lisa gets up between 3:45 and 4:00 in the morning for work. She takes them out. They get breakfast. While Lisa takes the kids out and feeds them breakfast, I crawl into bed. I get all of their blankets ready.

After the kids are done eating their breakfast, Lisa sips her morning coffee and eats breakfast on the bed. All of the kids are present. They surround her. Lisa shares her breakfast. It's our morning family time.

When Lisa is done with breakfast, she tucks us all in. Coco and Sophie stay on the bed with me. Lobo is tucked into the super comfy, plush bed on the floor beside of the bed. They all get a fresh made biscuit.

For the past year and a half, Lobo has been quite content with sleeping in his doggy bed after Lisa leaves the bedroom. Lobo likes to play in the morning. If he's on the bed in the morning, he'll charge my face, roll on his back, make one of his many noises, and he'll initiate play.

He will also try to get Coco and Sophie to play with him.

They don't want to play that early.

He'll also chew on his squeaker "Stinky" toy.

Long story short, I get no sleep.

That's why we've had our morning sleeping arrangement for the past year and a half.

It's worked up until about a week and a half ago.

On Monday, September 19th, I was dozing off. I heard Lobo whimper. It woke me up.

He wanted to get onto our bed. He was very persistent. That's not like him.

Usually, on the rare occasion that he does this, I say, "Go to bed, Lobo. Mommy loves you." At that point, he runs to his bed, gets under his blanket, and falls asleep.

On the morning of the 19th, he continued to whimper and make those "Mommy. Mommy. Mommy" noises.

I picked him up. He curled up against my tummy and fell asleep almost immediately. I covered him with a blanket. The four of us slept soundly that morning.

The following morning, same thing.

This continued all last week.

I thought, over the weekend, his new pattern would break.


This past Monday, he was whimpering to get on our bed. Again.

Like with last week, when I picked him up, he curled up against my tummy and fell asleep immediately.

Also, since this past Monday, when I get up in the morning, Lobo stays in bed.

Usually, he gets up with me and continues his morning slumber on the sofa. Coco and Sophie stay put in the bedroom.

Since Monday, Lobo has stayed in bed. A half hour after I get up, both Coco and Lobo wander into the home office, sit at my feet, and make their noises.

I put them both on the sofa.

They curl up together and fall asleep.

After I take them out in the afternoon, they curl up on the sofa again. Together.

New routine?

I'm thinking yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment